Monday, June 8, 2009

I Love you Doc. But I don't have to like you right now!

On Friday, I received the results of my BW. First thing Doc said was my TSH was high. I certainly wasn't shocked. But, I was a little angry at the fact that I had suspected my dose (synthroid) needed to be changed, and 1. hadn't pushed testing hard enough w/my OB/GYN and 2. my previous GP hadn't been concerned enough w/my symptoms to ask me to come in a few weeks for a follow-up test. My GP obviously got results that he felt didn't warrent an increase in dosage...but, when I requested these values, I was told by the receptionist that I could only get them the next time I was in the office!!! WTF!?! Well, the Dr. has left the practice and I do not intend w/signing on w/anyone other than an actual endocrinologist-as suggested by my OB/GYN on the phone (who said he would be happy to recommend one). 1 point OB.

Here's the kicker...the OB proceeded to tell me that I had some other funky numbers come up w/my LH. He said they were at pre-menopausal levels (high). Eh, hem...Dr.? How about before you go into questioning me about my periods you confirm on what CD you asked me to have this BW??? He asked me to go in Monday, and said that he wasn't concerned w/the cycle day (I guess because he wasn't testing for the estrogens and progesterone hormones). I went in on CD13...that evening I got my 1st OPK+ of the cycle!!! Of course my LH was high, I was signally ovulation! Pre-menopausal. Are you kidding me? -10 points OB.

Granted he told me right off the bat that I was welcome to see the RE from the start. He claimed he was more than happy to start seeing me as he was able to deal w/mild fertility issues...but, that was as far as he'd be able to take me. I didn't realize that he was that serious. I forget that Drs really only know about their specialties!!! Lesson learned. Regardless of pg issues, I will only be seeing an endocrinologist to manage my thyroid. Luckily, this RE that my Dr. has recommended is also an endocrinologist...So, he will be able to manage my thyroid, confirm my results (I cannot wait for re-test on appropriate CDs) and potentially help me get pg if we find I need help. If the RE doesn't believe his services are necessary, and kicks me back to my OB...I will start seeing the other Endo. Either way, I should benefit. Hopefully.....

No comments:

Post a Comment